There are currently no established dietary guidelines for the prevention of Alzheimer's disease, but higher adherence to the Mediterranean diet has shown to decrease cognitive decline. .
Leading a healthy lifestyle by decreasing the consumption of saturated and trans fatty acid, increasing plant-based foods as well as increase physical activity to fight against developing Alzheimer's disease!
(1) Yu, R., Chau, P.H., McGhee, S. M., Cheung, W. L., Chan, K. C., Cheung, S. H,, Woo, J.. (2012) Trends in prevalence and mortality of dementia in elderly Hong Kong population: projections, disease burden, and implications for long-term care.
International Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 2012, 1-6.
(2) Department of Health, HKSAR. Dementia Care Seminar cum Kick-off Ceremony for Dementia Care Campaign. Available from: http://www.dh.gov.hk/english/press/2006/061013.html. Accessed on 20 April, 2014.
(3) Yannakoulia, M. Kontogianni, M., Scarmeas, N. (2015) Cognitive health and Mediterranean Diet: Just diet or lifestyle patter? Ageing Research Reviews 20, 74-78.
(4) Psaltopoulou, T., Sergentanis, T.N., Panagiotakos, D.B., Sergentanis, I.N., Kosti, R., Scarmeas, N. (2013) Mediterranean diet, stroke, cognitive impairment, and depression: a meta-analysis. Annals of Neurology 74, 580–591.
(5) Singh, B., Parsaik, A.K., Mielke, M.M., Erwin, P.J., Knopman, D.S., Petersen, R.C., Roberts, R.O. (2014) Association of Mediterranean diet with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease 39, 271–282.
(6) Barnard, N. D., Bush, A. I., Ceccarelli, A., Cooper, J., de Jager, C. A., Erickson, K. I., Fraser, G., Kesler, S., Levin, S. M., Lucey, B., Morris, M. C., Squitti, R. (2014) Dietary and lifestyle guidelines for the prevention of Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiology of Aging 35, Supplement 2, 74-78.
(7) Ng, T-P., Feng, L., Niti, M., Kua, E-K., and Yap, K-B. (2008) Tea consumption and cognitive impairment and decline in older Chinese adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 88(1), 224-231.