Hi all! So first week at Matthew Kenney Culinary has passed by in the blink of an eye, because I am having the time of my life here in Los Angeles. The sunshine, the smiling faces... energy here is incredible, and the vegan restaurants here is simply outstanding. Because of that, I am currently on my 6th day of consuming only plant-based foods (vegan), how cray is that? And the best thing is, I feel AWESOME - light, peaceful and focused.
A bit about my course: I am currently taking the Fundamentals of Raw Cuisine I course at Matthew Kenney Culinary. Everything we make is RAW, meaning that nothing is heated up to more than 48°C (118°F), and VEGAN, meaning nothing animal related is used, i.e. eggs, butter, milk. However, we do use raw honey and bee pollen because of their health benefits. Once I complete the course, I'll be certified as a raw vegan chef on top of being a nutritionist, how exciting!
WHY I CHOSE THIS COURSE
- I 100% believe every single one of us should optimise our fruit and vegetable intake. Even I, as a nutritionist, have found it difficult to achieve the 5-a-day recommendation at times. Through this course, my goal to incorporate bountiful amounts of f&v in my diet can definitely be met - easily too!
- I accept the challenge of incorporating only plant-based items to produce dishes that appeal the eye, satisfy the stomach, and nourish our body + soul.
- I am wildly fascinated by the artful plating here at MKCulinary
- I find it intriguing how food can be "raw vegan" but does not just equate to a tossed salad. Through contemporary culinary methods and the art of flavour + texture balancing, raw vegan dishes are limitless! Think tiramisu, pizza, sushi!
- I care about our environment, thus having the skills to lead a plant-based lifestyle is one way of protecting our planet.